Call for Submissions
Rolling Submission Deadline
Counter/Action is a bi-annual online feminist publication and a project of the Center for the Study of Gender and Conflict at George Mason University in Arlington, Virginia.
Counter/Action is inspired by our Center’s feminist commitments, which are intersectional and geared toward building feminist solidarities across difference and distance. Through the creation of this online space we aim to foster an intellectual community of feminists engaged in different forms of scholarship and practice including academic theorizing, art, and activism. This magazine is a space where creative and critical conversations about feminism can flourish and form a basis for transnational collaboration and solidarity that move us closer to the realization of social justice.
-Counter/Action Mission Statement
We are soliciting academic and creative contributions from feminist artists, activists, academics, and practitioners on the practice on feminism in different spaces and critical reflections on feminist responses to violence and injustice. We are especially looking for pieces that grapple with intersectional oppression, forms of feminist resistance and activism, and strategies for building cross-movement and transnational solidarity. Themes may include (but are not limited to) an exploration of the following topics from a feminist lens:
- War and everyday forms of violence
- Anti-racism and anti-colonialism
- LGBTQI oppression and activism
- Social movements and activism
- Bodies and sexuality
- Art, expression, and representation
- Technology, communication and gender
- Feminist and queer theory, methodology
- Solidarity, resistance, and agency
- Transnational feminisms
We will also consider submissions that do not explicitly fit within these themes, however, we stress that all pieces must grapple with questions relating to feminism, broadly defined. This publication seeks to spark critical conversations about the theory and practice of feminism in its myriad interpretations and applications globally, so we may share strategies and build solidarities among our movements for justice.
We are interested in a variety of topics and genres including essays, op-eds, stories, poetry, art, photography, and video. Counter/Action welcomes submissions that meet these basic guidelines:
- Original, unpublished pieces on topics related to gender, feminism, and conflict broadly defined (see call for submissions above). Creative works may be previously published, however, full publication information should be included with your submission.
- Essays should have a maximum word limit of between 1500-2500 words.
- Provide a short bio of maximum 75 words.
- Provide any related images or videos that you would like to accompany your published piece.
- Provide a short description or accompanying short essay for visual works (photos and videos).
All submissions should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line Counter/Action Submission.